The Tacamahaca seed oil or more popularly known as Polynesian Tamanu Oil is a special oil known for its healing properties for the skin and hair. This oil has long been used in Polynesia and South East Asia to treat varoius skin conditions like acne, psoriasis and even scars.
Tamanu oil comes from the fruit of the Calophyllum tacamahaca, an evergreen tree and a member of the Mangosteen family. The fruits are allowed to fall off naturally and afterwards the nut is cracked open to reveal a white, round kernel. The nut is allowed to cure for about 6 to 8 weeks. As it cures, the nut will start to break down, and oil naturally starts to come out, which means that the nuts are ready for cold extraction.
The extracted oil is inedible but the benefits can seen when applied topically.
• Tamanu Oil is rich in fatty acids, which is beneficial for the skin and hair. The oil acts like a barrier and seals moisture in.
• Contains Calophyllolide – a neoflavoniod, known to have anti-inflammatory and wound healing properties.
• Delta-tocotrienol –Vitamin E and anti-oxidant.
• Wound healing -due to its anti-inflamatory effect and high in antioxidants, this oil is used to heal scars and repair wounds. It can stimulate collagen and skin cell proliferation, hence increase wound healing activity.
• Antibacterial – can be used as a spot treatment for minor wounds, insect bites and burns.
• Antifungal – can be used as treatment and prevention of dandruff. Apply on feet to treat athlete’s foot.
Beneficial Fatty Acids:
Tamanu oil is packed with skin and hair rejuvenating fatty acids:• Linoleic Acid (Omega-6) – promotes hair growth and moisturize the hair. Helps improve skin elasticity and softness. • Oleic Acid (Omega 9) – Encourages the growth of stronger and thicker hair. Anti-ageing properties, reduces premature wrinkes and fine lines.• Stearic Acid – exceptional cleansing properties that remove sweat, dirt and excess sebum from hair and skin• Palmitic Acid – softening and soothing the skin.
This wonder oil has been captured in the Nisim Wonder Oil – and I can safely say this product saved my hair on the beach! I will forever travel with this oil:)