Styling your hair is one way of expressing yourself. Fixing up your hair neatly and beautifully can boost your confidence, that’s why you will often wake up early in the morning just to style your hair.
Unfortunately some styling techniques can harm your hair especially when done frequently. Problems like dull and dry hair, making hair prone to breakage, affecting hair growth. In worst cases, hair loss can also occur. Below are some of the techniques that can damage your hair.
- Minimize the use of heat. Heat based products like: hair curlers, hair driers and especially hair straighteners can reach temperatures so high, they can literally vaporize the little moisture the hair holds. This can make hair dull and very dry, making hair brittle. Though the use of heat is the easiest way to style hair, constant use can damage hair, so it is advisable to use heat styling on specially occasions.
- Gentle grooming. Sometimes we find ourselves forcefully pulling our brush or comb thru our hair. This can put a lot of strain to the hair and can break the strands. In some cases, hair can be pulled out from the scalp which can cause patches of bald spots on the scalp. The best solution for this is use wide tooth combs or better: use special brush or combs that help reduce tangles.
- Do not brush or comb hair while it’s wet. Some of us commonly do this; again this can pull hair from the roots and can cause hair breakage. It is best to wrap hair and towel dry, then air dry before grooming.
- Some hair styles like braids, cornrows, and ponytails can put a lot of strain to hair especially when these hair styles are worn tightly. Again hair is prone to breakage and being pulled from roots. If possible try not to style hair in this fashion, or you can style hair loosely to prevent strain to hair.
We all want our hair looking beautiful and radiant because having beautiful locks makes us feel really feel good, a confidence boost so to speak. But there are times when our hair becomes very dry and frizzy, making our hair very difficult to style and manage.
But not to worry, in every problem there is a solution. Actually, managing dull, dry and frizzy hair is not that difficult, it’s just learning or knowing how to properly take care of hair to promote healthy hair growth. Below are some tips on how to nourish hair get back its natural and beautiful look.
- Do not use heat. The use of hot ceramic hair straighteners, curlers and blow dryers are an easy way to style hair. Unfortunately, too much heat styling can damage hair. These instruments can reach very high temperatures that can literally vaporize the little moisture the hair holds, leaving hair really dull and dry. This will also cause hair breakage which can really affect hair growth. It is best to limit use of these hair products.
- Eat Healthy. Consuming the right amounts of foods is the key to healthy hair growth. Nothing can encourage hair to grow better than a eating healthy and nutritious foods. Protein is an important nutrient since this is what hair is mostly made off. If you’re in some kind of weight reduction program don’t go for those low protein diet plans, this can affect hair growth. Foods rich in protein are soya, lentils, milk, cheese, fish and lean meat from chicken, pork and beef.
- Hygiene. Daily washing help keep the scalp clean which makes it ideal for hair growth. Underneath our skin there are these glands that produce a special oil called sebum, which acts as a natural skin and hair conditioner. But too much sebum can make hair really greasy which can attract a lot of dust and dirt into the hair and scalp. This oil, dirt and dust can accumulate in the scalp and could be a medium for bacterial and fungal growth.
- Scalp massage. Massaging your scalp a few minutes a day increases blood circulation; therefore, increasing oxygen and nutrient transfer to the hair follicles.